Golden Tomato Gazpacho
A beautiful bowl of cool soup with plenty of color and flavor for a summer afternoon.
- 3 pounds ripe yellow tomatoes Add to list
- 1 English cucumber Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cut in half and seeded Add to list
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 4 sprigs mint Add to list
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped red or orange bell peppers Add to list
- 1/2 avocado, diced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion Add to list
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Add to list
Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, then chill in ice water. Slip off the skins. Cut in half, remove seeds and coarsely chop, saving all the juice. Peel and seed cucumber and finely dice enough to make 3 tablespoons for garnish. Coarsely chop the rest of the cucumber.
In a blender, in batches, add tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapeno, garlic, mint, vinegar and olive oil. Start on low speed, then bring to high speed to completely puree this mixture. Add a little ice water if the mixture is too thick. For a more refined soup, you can strain the mixture in a coarse strainer. Correct seasoning and chill; the soup should be very cold.
Toss reserved vegetables together in a bowl. Pour the soup into 6 soup bowls and scatter the vegetables over the top. Drizzle with high-quality olive oil, add salt and pepper, and garnish with reserved cucumber. Add more chopped mint if you like.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor