Gluten-free Buttermilk Biscuits
Yield: 12 biscuits
Biscuits are the perfect side dish to roasted meats, outdoor barbecues, or smothered with butter and jam!
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour Add to list
- 1/3 cup potato starch Add to list
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 2 teaspoons sugar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum Add to list
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened Add to list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (see note) Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
Preheat oven to 450° F.
In a bowl, combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and xanthan gum.
Cut in margarine or butter with a pastry blender, or an electric mixer on low. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk and egg all at once. Mix well until moistened and combined.
Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
If you do not have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and 1/2 cup milk. Combine and let stand for 5 minutes before adding to dry ingredients. Milk will slightly thicken to mimic buttermilk.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Educator