Gluten-free Buttermilk Biscuits
Yield: Makes 12 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour Add to list
- 1/3 cup potato starch Add to list
- 3 tablespoon tapioca flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 2 teaspoons sugar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum Add to list
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened Add to list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk* Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
*If you do not have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute with 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar and 1/2 cup of milk. Combine and let stand for 5 minutes before adding to dry ingredients. Milk will slightly thicken to mimic buttermilk.
Preheat oven to 450° F. In a bowl, combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and xanthan gum.
Cut in the margarine or butter with a pastry blender, or an electric mixer on low. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and egg all at once. Mix well until moistened and combined.
Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 450° F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Educator
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »