Gingered Date Bars
Yield: About 12 large squares
A great, healthy treat that can be stored for up to 1 week in a sealed container or frozen for up to 6 months.
- 3/4 cup pitted dates, soaked in water to soften (can be soaked for up to 3 days in the refrigerator) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger Add to list
- 4 cups oat flour Add to list
- 4 cups rolled oats Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds Add to list
- 1 cup cold-pressed oil (walnut, safflower or sunflower all work great) Add to list
- 1 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1 teaspoon almond extract Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger Add to list
- Optional: 1/4 cup chocolate chips or 1/4 cup extra nuts Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Chop dates in a food processor until smooth. Add ginger and blend well. In a bowl, combine oat flour, oats and almonds. In another bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, almond extract and sea salt. Mix wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
Lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Press half of the flour mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Spread pureed dates over the top, then press the rest of the flour mixture onto the dates. Sprinkle crystallized ginger and optional chocolate chips or nuts over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool then cut into squares. Enjoy!
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2012.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »