Gingerbread Pudding Cake
This deliciously spicy cake gets its moist, crumbly texture from organic blackstrap molasses and hot apple cider, which is carefully poured over the batter before baking. Serve warm topped with whipped cream or side with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda Add to list
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cloves Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened Add to list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 cup organic blackstrap molasses Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups hot apple cider or apple juice Add to list
- 1/3 cup butter, melted Add to list
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.
Beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar in large bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Beat, alternately adding flour mixture with molasses and 1 cup water, beating after each addition until blended. Pour batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; sprinkle with 3/4 cup brown sugar.
Combine 1 1/2 cups hot cider and 1/3 cup melted butter and carefully pour over top of batter. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until gingerbread is cracked on top and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Source: Sound Consumer November 2004