Yield: Makes 8 5-inch portly people or 16 thin ones
- 1/4 cup butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup unbleached sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup dark molasses Add to list
- 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ginger Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease cookie sheet. With a mixer, blend butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in molasses. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the butter mixture in 3 parts, adding just enough water (about 1/4 cup) to make the dough workable (like soft clay).
Roll out to desired thickness and cut shapes with floured cookie cutters, or roll a ball for the head, a larger one for the body and cylinders for the arms and legs. Overlap and press the pieces together carefully on the cookie sheet so they will stick together for baking.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness. Cool on a wire rack. Decorate as desired.
Source: Adapted by Alicia Guy from “The Joy of Cooking”