This easy-to-make cake uses molasses, which provides significant amounts of iron and calcium. The whole grain flour and maple syrup also help make this a nutritious treat.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger or 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 1/2 cup oil (safflower, sunflower or other neutral oil) Add to list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1/2 cup molasses Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. In another bowl, mix together oil, maple syrup, molasses, water, vanilla and eggs.
Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Pour batter into an oiled 8-inch square baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Each serving: 250cal, 14g fat (1.5g sat), 45mg chol, 95mg sodium, 31g carb, 1g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Educator