Giant, Chewy Rolled Grain Cookies
Yield: 2 (9-inch) cookies
These giant oat cookies are baked in pie pans!
- 1/2 cup butter Add to list
- 1 cup brown sugar Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 tablespoon milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 cup unbleached white flour Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 cup rolled oats or other rolled grains such as barley, in any combination Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 2 (9-inch) cake pans with a circle of parchment and lightly oil the parchment.
Cream together butter and brown sugar. Beat egg, milk and vanilla into butter mixture until creamy.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and fold into the batter. Stir in rolled grains.
Spread a thin layer of cookie batter over each pprepared pan, about 1/4-inch-thick. Bake until golden and puffed, 15 to 18 minutes.
With the tip of a paring knife, cut around the outer edge of the cookie to loosen it from the pan. Cool for 5 minutes and invert onto a sheet of parchment. (This is so the cookies won't stick as they cool and will be easier to handle.) Remove the parchment. Let the cookies cool completely before handling them as they will be quite tender.
This cookie recipe was created to go with the One Giant, Fresh, Organic Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwich recipe.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5’s “Gardening with Ciscoe” show aired on April 25, 2009