Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish Cream
Serves: 4 to 6
Roasted garlic and horseradish add depth and zing to comforting mashed potatoes. Garlic is a good source of vitamins B6, C and manganese, and it tastes great with potatoes!
- 1 large or 2 small heads garlic, top third cut off and discarded Add to list
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary and several sprigs thyme Add to list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled Add to list
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup cream or milk Add to list
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated or bottled horseradish Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place trimmed garlic heads on a sheet of foil. Add herb sprigs and olive oil and wrap tightly. Roast in oven 40 to 60 minutes, or until garlic cloves are soft.
Cut each potato into 3 pieces and place in a large pot of water, enough to cover the potatoes. Add salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until a knife slips into the potatoes easily. While the potatoes cook, heat the butter, cream or milk and horseradish in a small pot over medium heat until hot. Keep warm.
Drain the potatoes, put back in the pot and shake them over medium heat to evaporate any liquid. Pass them through a ricer or mash them. Squeeze out the garlic cloves and add to the cream mixture. Whisk together, pour over the potatoes and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer December 2006
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »