Don’t be scared by the amount of garlic in this recipe! Browning and braising the garlic along with the chicken gives it a sweet and mellow flavor. Serve alone or over basmati rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 8 chicken drumsticks Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup dry white wine Add to list
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional) Add to list
- 1 cup chicken stock Add to list
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon Add to list
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme Add to list
- 5 sprigs fresh oregano Add to list
Carefully smash garlic cloves lightly with the flat side of large knife to loosen skins. Remove skins from cloves.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Generously season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and reduce to medium heat.
Add garlic cloves and cook until garlic begins to soften and turn golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in wine and brandy (if using) and cook for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Return chicken and any juices to the pan. Add chicken stock, lemon juice, zest, thyme and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to a platter and spoon garlic over the top.
Each serving: 370 cal, 20g fat (4.5g sat), 120mg chol, 450mg sodium, 8g carb, 1g fiber, 30g protein