Gambas al Ajillo (Sizzling Shrimp with Garlic)
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound raw shrimp Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 head garlic, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Add to list
- 2 teaspoons pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons brandy or apple juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 6 tablespoons chopped parsley Add to list
- Sliced baguette (optional) Add to list
Peel the shrimp, discarding heads and tails. Place a cast iron frying pan over a hot flame. When it's hot, add the oil and fry the garlic and red pepper flakes for a few seconds. Add the shrimp and cook just until they turn pink and slightly curl, about 2 minutes. Then add the paprika and remove shrimp.
Deglaze the pan with the brandy or apple juice. Reduce to half and stir in the butter until melted. Add the freshly chopped parsley and pour the sauce over the shrimp.
Serve very hot, accompanied by bread if you like, to soak up the flavorful sauce.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor