Gaeng Daeng Namtoa Gai (Thai Pumpkin Curry)
This warming coup balances spicy and sweet with curry and pumpkin.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil Add to list
- 3 teaspoons red curry paste, or to taste Add to list
- 1 cup coconut milk, divided Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups diced chicken thigh meat or 1 cup sliced mixed fresh mushrooms Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced winter squash or pumpkin Add to list
- 1/2 cup Thai or other basil leaves Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional) Add to list
Heat canola oil and red curry paste in a large pot over medium-high heat; stir constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 3 tablespoons coconut milk and let cook for 30 seconds. Add chicken or mushrooms and stir until cooked through. Pour in water and stir in squash or pumpkin and let cook for 8 minutes.
Stir in remaining coconut milk and bring back to a boil. Stir in basil and sugar and cook for only 30 seconds, stirring well.
Each serving: 220 cal, 15g fat (7g sat), 0mg chol, 300mg sodium, 11g carb, 3g fiber, 10g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor