Fun Sandwich Shapes for Back-to-school Lunches
Yield: 2 sandwiches
Food always tastes a little better when it’s pretty, so here’s a super easy way to turn ordinary sandwiches into something fun.
- 4 slices whole wheat, sprouted seed or your favorite healthy bread Add to list
- 1/4 cup hummus, any flavor Add to list
- 4 to 6 slices turkey or your favorite sandwich meat Add to list
- A few spinach leaves Add to list
- 2 slices salami Add to list
- 1 slice of your favorite cheese Add to list
- 3 decorative cookie cutters in descending sizes, such as a star or flower pattern. The largest should fit to the edges of a slice of bread. (You can find these in most craft stores.) Add to list
Make 2 sandwiches with bread, hummus, turkey and spinach leaves. Push the largest cutter into the center of the sandwich, pressing down hard to cut all the way to the bottom.
With the second largest cutter, cut a shape out of each salami slice. Use the smallest cutter to cut patterns out of the cheese.
Top each sandwich with a slice of salami and cheese in a stacking pattern. If you like, you can secure the sandwich by sticking half of a lollipop stick through an olive or grape and spearing it through the center of the cheese and salami decoration.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on August 24, 2013.