Fried Chicken Salad
The familiar ideas of crispy, breaded chicken strips and ranch dressing get a healthier makeover with this delicious, kid-friendly salad.
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs Add to list
- 1/2 cup almond meal Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/2-inch thick Add to list
- 2 eggs, beaten Add to list
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 5 ounces mixed greens Add to list
- 1/4 green cabbage, shredded Add to list
- 2 crisp apples – quartered, cored and sliced Add to list
- PCC Ranch Dressing or your favorite dressing Add to list
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounces) Add to list
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions Add to list
In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, almond meal, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Dip chicken in beaten eggs and shake off excess. Cover chicken with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to help the coating stick.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Allow to cool slightly and then cut into thin strips.
In a large bowl, toss together greens, cabbage and apples; drizzle with ranch dressing. Divide salad between 4 plates and top with chicken strips, blue cheese and green onions.
Each serving: 640 cal, 35g fat (8g sat), 225mg chol, 660mg sodium, 34g carb, 7g fiber, 49g protein