Fresh Summer Rolls with Lime Hoisin Sauce
Yield: 6 rolls
Crispy and cool vegetable rolls hit the spot on warm days. Try using any fresh herb or vegetable that's growing in the garden.
- 2 ounces maifun or vermicelli rice noodles Add to list
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce Add to list
- 1 lime, zested and juiced Add to list
- Splash of fish sauce (optional) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves Add to list
- 6 brown or white rice spring roll wrappers Add to list
- 1/2 carrot, shredded Add to list
- 1/4 English cucumber, thinly sliced Add to list
- 2 ounces cooked shrimp Add to list
- 2 leaves lettuce, cut into pieces Add to list
- 12 whole mint leaves Add to list
- 12 whole basil leaves Add to list
Soak rice noodles in hot water until soft and pliable, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Whisk together hoisin sauce, lime zest, lime juice, fish sauce and cilantro leaves in a bowl; set aside.
Fill a large baking dish with warm water. Soak one spring roll wrapper in the water until pliable, 5 to 15 seconds. Remove the wrapper to a clean, dry surface. Place some rice noodles, carrots, cucumbers and shrimp on the lower third of the wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with a piece of lettuce, 2 mint leaves and 2 basil leaves.
Bring the bottom edge of the spring roll up and over the filling and snugly start to roll it up. Tuck in the sides (like a burrito) and continue rolling until completely wrapped. Repeat with the remaining rolls. Cover rolls with a moist towel while you finish the rest.
Cut the rolls in half on the diagonal and serve with the Lime Hoisin Sauce.
Each roll: 110 cal, 0.5g fat (0g sat), 15mg chol, 200mg sodium, 21g carb, 1g fiber, 4g sugars, 4g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef