Fresh Summer Fruit Trifle
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 pint strawberries, capped and sliced Add to list
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar (divided) Add to list
- 1 vanilla bean Add to list
- 2 cups whipping cream Add to list
- 2 cups cubed angel food or pound cake Add to list
- 1/4 cup brandy or Grand Marnier Add to list
- 2 pints fresh blueberries Add to list
- 1 cup pitted cherries Add to list
- 1 cup chopped plums Add to list
- 1 cup chopped nectarines Add to list
- 2 cups custard or vanilla pudding Add to list
Combine the strawberries with 1/4 cup of the sugar and set aside. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape out the sticky paste and fold it into the cream. Whip the cream with 1/2 cup of sugar until soft peaks form.
Layer 1/2 of the cake cubes in a clear bowl, drizzle with 1/2 of the brandy and sprinkle 1/2 of the fruit, including the strawberries with their juice, over the cake. Top with 1/2 of the custard or vanilla pudding and 1/2 of the whipped cream. Repeat the layers with cake, brandy, fruit and custard. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and garnish with extra fruits and edible flowers if you have them!
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired July 6, 2011.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.