Fresh Summer Fruit Trifle
Serves: 6 to 8
This easy to assemble dessert uses the best of summer's fruit.
- 1 pint strawberries, capped and sliced Add to list
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar, divided Add to list
- 1 vanilla bean Add to list
- 2 cups whipping cream Add to list
- 2 cups cubed angel food or pound cake Add to list
- 1/4 cup brandy or Grand Marnier Add to list
- 2 pints fresh blueberries Add to list
- 1 cup pitted cherries Add to list
- 1 cup chopped plums Add to list
- 1 cup chopped nectarines Add to list
- 2 cups custard or vanilla pudding Add to list
Combine strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar and set aside. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape out the sticky paste and fold it into the cream. Whip cream with 1/2 cup sugar until soft peaks form.
Layer 1/2 the cake cubes in a clear bowl, drizzle with 1/2 the brandy and sprinkle 1/2 the fruit, including the strawberries with their juice, over the cake. Top with 1/2 the custard or vanilla pudding and 1/2 the whipped cream. Repeat the layers with cake, brandy, fruit and custard. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and garnish with extra fruits.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired July 6, 2011.