Strawberry Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Frosting
Yield: About 18 cupcakes
Bright red strawberries bake right into the batter to create these moist little cakes bursting with flavor. Then, of course, more berries are added to the frosting for a perfect celebration of the season.
- 2 pints strawberries Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or cake flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 4 ounces softened unsalted butter Add to list
- 1 cup white sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup blonde coconut sugar Add to list
- 2 large eggs Add to list
- 1/4 cup milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- Fresh Strawberry Frosting Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Wash and hull berries. Chop about 6 berries into small dice and set aside. Puree the rest of the berries in a food processor or blender and measure out 1 1/4 cups for cake batter. Save leftover puree for the frosting.
Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together. Beat in eggs and then beat in milk, vanilla and strawberry puree. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in flour mixture. You may now fold in the chopped strawberries or press them on top of batter before baking.
Spoon batter into lined cupcake tins, filling them to a generous 3/4 full. Press chopped strawberries into batter if you chose this option.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let them cool completely before frosting.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on March 23, 2013.