Fresh Berry and Orange Zest Tarts
Yield: 6 tarts
This recipe is one of the simplest and loveliest ways to feature summer berries. Juicy, bubbly and beautiful!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry Add to list
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water) Add to list
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened Add to list
- 1 tablespoon orange zest Add to list
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries Add to list
- 1/2 cup blueberries Add to list
- 12 fresh strawberries, caps removed and sliced Add to list
- Powdered sugar, for garnish Add to list
- Orange zest, for garnish Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Roll each sheet of puff pastry out lightly to form a rectangle. Prick each sheet of pastry all over with a fork. Cut 1 sheet into 6 squares. Cut the second sheet into identical shapes, but using the tip of a sharp knife, cut out the center of each shape, leaving approximately 1/2-inch sides. (Save the cut out centers to be re-cut and used for decoration if desired.)
Brush the original pastry squares with a little egg wash and fit the corresponding second sheet of squares (with the centers removed) on top. Each of these will be a separate "pastry shell." Press the top layer of pastry down on the bottom layer of each to seal well.
Place pastry shells on a baking sheet, leaving at least a 1/2-inch between each. Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg wash. Cook for 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
Mix together cream cheese, orange zest and powdered sugar until smooth. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe a layer of filling into each of the pastry shells. Top each with a combination of berries. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and garnish with additional orange zest.
You may make these shells and freeze them, uncooked and sealed well, for up to 1 week. Once baked, you may refrigerate them for up to 2 days. Crisp them in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes and then cool before adding the topping.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show aired on June 20, 2009