Fresh Apricot Pilaf
Serves: 4 to 6
A terrific side dish for any sort of Middle Eastern or Moroccan meal, and it's delicious alongside Pomegranate Grilled Chicken.
- 3 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1/2 pound ripe apricots, pitted and chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint Add to list
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest Add to list
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add spices and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and stir in apricots, almonds, mint and lemon zest. Cover and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Each serving: 270 cal, 10g fat (4.5 sat), 20mg chol, 220mg sodium, 42g carb, 3g fiber, 6g sugars, 5p protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »