French Roasted Garlic and Wild Mushroom Bisque with Red Pepper Aioli
A rich and thick bisque made with potatoes, mushrooms and topped with a creamy roasted pepper sauce.
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers Add to list
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (chanterelle, porcini, oyster, crimini or domestic) Add to list
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves, chopped (available in bulk in PCC's olive bars) Add to list
- 1 leek, sliced Add to list
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth Add to list
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped Add to list
Place peppers, mayonnaise, raw garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Set aioli aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Stir in roasted garlic and set aside.
In a heavy pot, heat remaining oil and cook leeks for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft. Pour chicken or vegetable broth into the pot. Add chopped potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes fall apart.
Add mushrooms and roasted garlic and simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring with a wire whip to turn the potatoes into a smooth base. Stir in chopped basil. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with a swirl of the sweet pepper aioli over the top.
You may add a puree of cooked spring peas, asparagus, broccoli, squash or anything you like to enhance this very classic bisque!
Recipe by, PCC Chef