French Omelet with Sweet Peppers, Smoked Salmon and Gruyère
Serves: 2 to 4
This savory omelet, which is finished in the oven, is perfect for breakfast or dinner.
- 6 large eggs Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cream Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, dill, chervil, tarragon, savory in any combination) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots Add to list
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers (any combination of colors) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup flaked smoked salmon Add to list
- 1 teaspoon capers Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Separate yolks and whites of eggs; set whites aside. Add cream, herbs, salt and pepper to yolks and beat well.
Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and melt butter. Cook shallots for 1 minute and add bell peppers. Sauté for 1 or 2 minutes or until peppers are tender but still colorful. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir 1/3 of the whites into yolk mixture to lighten it. Then carefully fold remaining whites into the mixture until well blended.
Heat olive oil in an 8-inch omelet pan over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into the pan and smooth the surface. Run a rubber spatula around the edges and lightly under the mixture as it begins to cook to prevent it from sticking to the sides. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the sides begin to bubble lightly. Place bell pepper mixture evenly over one half of the surface of the eggs. Top with salmon, capers and Gruyére cheese.
Place the pan in the oven and cook until eggs are slightly firm throughout and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and fold the omelet onto a serving platter.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show aired on September 21, 2007