Fish Tacos with Kiwi Salsa
A perfect weeknight meal, these fish tacos are a snap to prepare, taste great and are a fun way to get protein, veggies and fruit into one dish!
- 3 kiwis, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 pound cod or halibut fillet, skin and bones removed Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- 1 cup breadcrumbs Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 8 (4-inch) flour, whole wheat or corn tortillas Add to list
- 1 cup sliced cabbage or salad greens Add to list
To prepare the salsa:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix; let sit while preparing the fish.
To prepare the fish:
Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Rinse the fish and pat dry. Slice into 2-inch long pieces and place in a shallow dish. Pour beaten egg over the top and gently mix to coat, making sure each fish piece gets covered in a little bit of egg.
Combine breadcrumbs, salt, oregano, cumin and oil in a resealable plastic bag. Add the egg-coated fish, seal and shake until well coated. Spread the fish on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Wrap the tortillas in foil and put them in the oven during the last 4 minutes of baking.
Assemble the tacos with fish, salsa, cabbage or salad greens. Feel free to add any other favorite taco toppings!
This is a fun, hands-on meal that kids can help prepare. Let them coat the fish with the egg and breadcrumb mixture (shaking the bag is super fun!) and assemble the tacos. Kids can suggest their favorite vegetables (such as shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers or spinach) for additional toppings.
Each servomg: 400cal, 8g fat (1.5g sat),80mg chol, 740mg sodium, 55g carb, 6g fiber, 27g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef