Asparagus with Penne Pasta, Tuscan Style
Asparagus brightens up this perfect one-pot meal in classic Northern Italian-style with tender white beans, garlic, fresh lemon juice and tomatoes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 8 to 12 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch lengths (tough ends removed) Add to list
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, lightly drained Add to list
- 2 cups cooked white beans Add to list
- 1 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves, plus additional for garnish Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish Add to list
- 1/2 lemon, juiced Add to list
- 3/4 pound penne (or your favorite shape) pasta, cooked and drained Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts, pitted kalamata olives, fresh sage and/or Italian sausage Add to list
In a heavy pot, heat oil until the surface begins to move. Stir in garlic, mushrooms and asparagus and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
Add tomatoes, white beans, basil and Parmesan and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice. Stir in pasta and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Heat through and serve garnished with grated Parmesan and chopped fresh basil.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show aired on March 21, 2009.