Final Buzzer Fried Rice
Serves: 4 to 6
Brown rice is an excellent carbohydrate to fuel up athletes of all ages. You can transform ordinary brown rice into a more appealing and nutritious dish by adding sautéed spices and vegetables. White rice can be substituted.
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee or olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- Pinch of cayenne (optional) Add to list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or split cashews Add to list
- 2 to 3 scallions, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup dried currants Add to list
- 1/3 cup frozen peas Add to list
- 2 to 3 cups cooked brown rice Add to list
Heat butter, ghee or oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add spices and nuts and allow cook until fragrant; the nuts will change to a golden color. Add scallions and sauté until bright green, about 1 minute. Add currants and peas and sauté 1 to 2 minutes more.
Slowly add rice, breaking it up so the rice gets evenly coated. When all the rice has been added, continue stirring until the dish is mixed well and evenly heated.
Source: Recipe reprinted with permission from "Feeding the Young Athlete" by Cynthia Lair with Scott Murdoch, Ph.D., R.D. (Moon Smile Press, 2002) FeedingFamily.com.