Cuban Tortilla Torta with Warm Spices
Serves: 8 to 10
There are so many layers of flavor in this dish! The bright spark of the yams pairs perfectly with the warm spice of the beans and the cool taste of the avocados.
- 2 cups diced yams Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups chopped onions Add to list
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic Add to list
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded and chopped, or 1 small can of diced green chiles, drained Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and chile powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, or more to taste Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 3 cups cooked black beans Add to list
- 12 to 15 corn tortillas Add to list
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce (mild or medium) Add to list
- 2 avocados, diced Add to list
- 4 to 5 cups shredded Jack or cheddar cheese Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Toss yams with 1 tablespoon oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, or until tender and lightly golden.
In a heavy sauté pan heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, garlic and chiles for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onions are tender. Stir in oregano, cumin, chile powder, chipotle powder and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute more. Add beans and mash lightly to absorb lots of flavor. Season with salt and pepper. (It should be highly seasoned!)
Dip 4 to 5 tortillas in enchilada sauce and place them in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish. (You may break them in half to fit better if you like.) Top with 1/2 the bean mixture, 1/2 the yams, 1/2 the avocado and 1/3 the cheese. You may drizzle with a little extra sauce if you prefer a juicier dish.
Repeat with 4 or 5 more dipped tortillas, bean mixture, avocadoes, cheese and sauce. Top with a last layer of 4 or 5 dipped tortillas and the last of the cheese.
Bake at 375° F, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly and golden.
Other options for layering:
Cooked brown rice
Roasted or grilled chicken or steak
Recipe by, PCC Chef