Farmers Market Spring Quinoa Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 30 minutes
This is a fantastic spring or summer salad for picnics and barbecues. Cooked quinoa is a perfect protein and is a great addition to a vegetarian diet or as an added protein to any salad. Take advantage of local and seasonal produce by using any vegetables listed in the recipe.
Vegetables, 4 to 5 cups all together, such as:
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups asparagus, snap peas, green beans, diagonally sliced Add to list
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups radishes, cucumber, fennel, tomatoes, diced Add to list
- 3 green onions or 1/3 small Walla Walla, red or yellow onion, finely diced Add to list
- 1 bunch leafy greens (mizuna, arugula, chard, kale or a mix), finely sliced Add to list
- 1 cup fresh herbs (cilantro, basil, mint, parsley, chives), chopped Add to list
Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under running water.
In a small saucepan, combine water or broth and rinsed quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to absorb remaining water. Remove and cool completely.
Prepare all the vegetables and place in the salad bowl with the cooled quinoa.
Make the dressing and toss with the salad and serve.
Each serving: 270 cal, 13g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 270mg sodium, 31g carb, 5g fiber, 8g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor