Fall Harvest Lasagna "Cupcakes"
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Not all cupcakes have to be sweet! Here we've layered all of your favorite lasagna ingredients in individual serving cups to make them easy to eat (and easy to share). In this version I have combined Italian sausage and colorful vegetables with the classic cheeses, but you can choose your own filling ingredients to make them your very own.
- 1 pound PCC Chicken Italian Sausage links Add to list
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce Add to list
- 1 package lasagna noodles Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 6 to 8 button or crimini mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper Add to list
- 3 cups chopped leafy greens such as chard or kale Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese Add to list
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 2 cups ricotta cheese Add to list
- Optional garnish: thinly sliced red bell pepper rings Add to list
Remove the sausage from the casings. In a heavy sauté pan, brown the sausage, breaking it into smaller chunks. Drain the fat and stir in the marinara sauce. If you want to make this in advance, keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Cook the lasagna sheets according to package directions and cut into rounds with a cookie cutter. You'll need 12 small (2 1/2-inch) and 24 larger (3-inch) rounds. (Or just use all 3-inch rounds.)
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions, garlic, mushrooms and peppers for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has been absorbed. Stir in the leafy greens and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until the greens are tender and the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the grated mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan for topping. Fold the ricotta and the remaining cheeses into the mushroom and greens mixture.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone liners. (Paper will get soggy.) Place 1 small pasta round in the bottom of each liner. Place about 1 tablespoon of meat sauce in each and top with a generous scoop of the cheese filling. Layer in 1 larger pasta round and repeat the ingredients. Top each cup with 1 last larger pasta round and a scoop of meat sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved shredded mozzarella and Parmesan and top with a red bell pepper ring if you like. Cover with a sheet of parchment and wrap the whole pan in foil.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and parchment and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on September 22, 2012.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »