Fall Harvest Lasagna "Cupcakes"
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Not all cupcakes have to be sweet! Here we've layered all of your favorite lasagna ingredients in individual serving cups to make them easy to eat (and easy to share). In this version I have combined Italian sausage and colorful vegetables with the classic cheeses, but you can choose your own filling ingredients to make them your very own.
- 1 pound PCC Chicken Italian Sausage links Add to list
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce Add to list
- 1 package lasagna noodles Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 6 to 8 button or crimini mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers Add to list
- 3 cups chopped leafy greens, such as chard or kale Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese Add to list
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 2 cups ricotta cheese Add to list
- Thinly sliced red bell pepper rings, to garnish (optional) Add to list
Remove sausage from casings. In a heavy sauté pan, brown sausage, breaking it into smaller chunks. Drain the fat and stir in marinara sauce. If you want to make this in advance, keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Cook lasagna sheets according to package directions and cut into rounds with a cookie cutter. You'll need 12 small (2 1/2-inch) and 24 larger (3-inch) rounds.
In a large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms and peppers for 5 minutes or until onions are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has been absorbed. Stir in leafy greens and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until greens are tender and liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the grated mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan for topping. Fold ricotta and remaining cheeses into the mushroom mixture.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone liners. (Paper will get soggy.) Place 1 small pasta round in the bottom of each liner. Place about 1 tablespoon of meat sauce in each and top with a generous scoop of the cheese filling. Layer in 1 larger pasta round and repeat the ingredients. Top each cup with 1 last larger pasta round and a scoop of meat sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved shredded mozzarella and Parmesan and top with a red bell pepper ring. Cover with a sheet of parchment and wrap the whole pan in foil.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and parchment and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on September 22, 2012.