Fall Farro Pilaf
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups farro Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 1 onion halved Add to list
- 1 carrot halved Add to list
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 1 sachet (thyme sprigs, bay leaf, crushed garlic clove, peppercorns wrapped in cheese cloth Add to list
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 2 cups celery, cut into large bias cuts Add to list
- 1 leek cut into 1/2-inch rounds Add to list
Preheat oven to 450º F.
Place the farro in a stock pot with water, onion, carrot, salt and sachet. Cook until tender. Strain and remove vegetables and sachet.
While farro is cooking, toss butternut squash in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet with plenty of space between pieces. Repeat with celery and leek. It's preferable to roast the vegetables separately. Roast the squash until is just barely tender and has browned a little. The celery should be slightly crisp and slightly browned, as should the leeks.
Mix the roasted vegetables and farro. Reheat in oven for 5 to 10 minutes to desired temperature and serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC Deli
Source: 2009 PCC fall member meeting