Fall Farro Pilaf
Serves: 4 to 6
Warm and filling, this roasted vegetable farro salad is perfect for chill fall evenings.
- 2 cups emmer farro Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 1 onion, halved Add to list
- 1 carrot, halved Add to list
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 1 sachet (thyme sprigs, bay leaf, crushed garlic clove and peppercorns wrapped in cheesecloth) Add to list
- 3 cups peeled and diced butternut squash Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups celery, cut into large bias cuts Add to list
- 1 leek cut into 1/2-inch rounds Add to list
Preheat oven to 450º F.
Place farro in a stock pot with water, onions, carrots, salt and sachet. Cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Strain and remove vegetables and sachet.
While farro is cooking, toss butternut squash in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet with plenty of space between pieces. Repeat with celery and leeks. It's preferable to roast the vegetables separately. Roast squash until is just barely tender and has browned a little. The celery and leeks should be slightly crisp and slightly browned.
Mix roasted vegetables and farro. Reheat in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes to desired temperature and serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC Deli
Source: 2009 PCC fall member meeting