Falafel with Tahini Dressing
- 1 1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in 4 to 5 cups water Add to list
- 1/4 cup lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup filtered water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- 3 to 4 teaspoons ground coriander Add to list
- 3 to 4 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda Add to list
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or chili powder to taste Add to list
- Virgin coconut oil for frying Add to list
Rinse the soaked garbanzo beans in cold water. Place them in a food processor, and process until chopped into small pieces, scraping down the sides. Add lemon juice and water; continue to blend until finely ground, almost like a paste.
In a skillet, sauté onion, garlic, coriander and cumin in olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Combine all the ingredients except the Tabasco sauce or chili powder and coconut oil in a mixing bowl, and mix well. Add Tabasco or chili powder to your taste.
Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a frying pan. With a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out the mixture into small patties and place in the pan. Fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
Serve the Falafel warm in pita bread or a flour tortilla wrap, with Israeli Salad and Tahini Dressing.
For Tahini Dressing
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Combine all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
Serve with Falafel on pita bread or a flour tortilla wrap with lettuce.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on September 5, 2008, during PCC Edmonds Grand Opening Days, along with: Israeli Salad