Ensalada Rusa (Peruvian Mixed Vegetables Salad)
This summer salad is often served cold but also can be eaten at room temperature. If you want to make a meal out of this salad, add 2 cups of diced tofu or cooked chicken or turkey.
Olive Oil Dressing for Ensalada Rusa
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil Add to list
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic (put it through garlic press) Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin powder Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard Add to list
- 2 cups small, 1/2-inch pieces of cauliflower Add to list
- 1 cup asparagus tips Add to list
- 1 cup green beans, cut in diagonal 3/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 cup peas Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 cup diced beets Add to list
- 5 medium-size yellow Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes (cut in 1/2-inch pieces) Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion Add to list
- 3/4 cup diced celery Add to list
- Salt to taste Add to list
- Leaves of lettuce to garnish Add to list
Begin by making the dressing. Pour all the ingredients into a bowl. Mix well. Let dressing stand for 1 hour.
One at a time, quickly boil or steam the first seven vegetables so they remain firm or al dente. Cook these separately because they each have different cooking times. (Do not cook the red onion or celery.) Drain vegetables and let cool for about one hour.
After an hour, mix all cooked vegetables, except for diced beets, and the raw onion and celery. Add the dressing, little by little, to the vegetables to achieve the consistency you want. Once you have done this, you can add salt to taste.
To serve, line a bowl or shallow dish with leaves of lettuce, pour on the mixed vegetables, then top with the diced beets. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »