Ensalada Rusa (Peruvian Mixed Vegetable Salad)
This summer salad is often served cold but also can be eaten at room temperature. If you want to make a meal out of this salad, add 2 cups diced tofu or cooked chicken or turkey.
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin powder Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard Add to list
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces cauliflower Add to list
- 1 cup asparagus tips Add to list
- 1 cup green beans, cut on the diagonal 3/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 cup peas Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 cup diced beets Add to list
- 5 Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions Add to list
- 3/4 cup diced celery Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- Lettuce leaves, to garnish Add to list
Combine oils, garlic, lime juice, cumin, black pepper and mustard in a bowl. Let dressing stand for 1 hour.
Blanch cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, peas, carrots, beets and potatoes so they remain firm or al dente. Cook separately, as they each have different cooking times. Let cool for about 1 hour.
Mix together all cooked vegetables, except for diced beets, onions and celery. Add the dressing, a little by at a time, to achieve the consistency you want. Season with salt, to taste.
To serve, line a bowl or shallow dish with lettuce leaves, add the mixed vegetables and top with beets, onions and celery.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor