Ensalada Mixta con Choclo (Peruvian Corn Salad)
Serves: 6 to 8
This recipe normally would use Alfonso olives, which are native to Latin America. Kalamata olives could be a substitute. Alfonso olives are bigger and meatier. They also don't taste as bitter as a Kalamata and are a lighter color.
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced red onions Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced red bell peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell peppers Add to list
- 3/4 cup diced Alfonso or Kalamata olives Add to list
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or mashed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1/4 cup salsa (either hot or mild) Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
Simmer corn to thaw and let it cool.
In a bowl, mix together all vegetables, olives, feta and garlic.
In a small bowl, combine Tabasco sauce or salsa, cilantro and mayonnaise. Fold dressing into the vegetables. Add just enough olive oil to make the salad moist. Taste for salt.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor