Emmer Farro, Grapefruit and Pumpkin Seed Salad
Serves: 4 as a main dish or 8 as a side dish
This simple salad instantly brings sunshine to your table. It's packed with healthy ingredients that will give you the energy and vitality to attack those chilly chores! Emmer farro is grown right in our own backyard by Bluebird Grain Farms in Winthrop, Wash.
- 1 cup emmer farro Add to list
- 4 cups mixed leafy greens Add to list
- 1 grapefruit Add to list
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries Add to list
Cook emmer farro in a generous amount of simmering, salted water until it is al dente, about 45 minutes. The grains should be be firm but chewy. Drain and let cool. (You can do this step up to two days in advance and store in the refrigerator.)
Remove any woody stems from larger greens. Cut into bite-sized pieces or slice into a slaw-style chiffonade. Peel grapefruit and cut into bite-sized chunks.
To prepare dressing, mix together vinegar, oil, sugar and ginger in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
In a large bowl, gently toss grapefruit with emmer farro, greens, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. Right before serving, toss in dressing to taste.
Each serving: 180 cal, 9g fat (1.5g sat), 0mg chol, 190mg sodium, 25g carb, 4g fiber, 5g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired January 4, 2011.