PCC Emerald City Salad
Serves: 8 to 10 people as a side dish
It's small wonder that this blend of kale, wild rice, fennel and more remains a perennial favorite in our deli — it's a darn delicious way to enjoy leafy greens, whole grains, olive oil and other healthy ingredients.
- 1 cup uncooked organic wild rice Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 bunch organic kale Add to list
- 1/2 bunch organic chard Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley Add to list
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Salt the water, if desired, and add rice. Bring back to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 60 to 65 minutes. When the water is absorbed, remove from heat and let cool.
Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. When the rice is cool, toss with dressing.
Remove tough stems and ribs from greens and chiffonade. Combine with peppers, fennel, green onion and parsley. Just before serving, toss veggies with dressed rice.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!