PCC Emerald City Salad
Serves: 8 to 10 people as a side dish
It's small wonder that this blend of kale, wild rice, fennel and more remains a perennial favorite in our deli — it's a darn delicious way to enjoy leafy greens, whole grains, olive oil and other healthy ingredients.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 bunch kale Add to list
- 1/2 bunch chard Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley Add to list
Bring 3 cups salted water to a boil; add rice. Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed, 60 to 65 minutes; remove from heat and let cool.
Whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. When the rice is cool, toss with dressing.
Remove tough stems and ribs from greens and chiffonade (cut into ribbons). Combine with peppers, fennel, green onions and parsley. Just before serving, toss veggies with dressed rice.
Make ahead: Make this salad up to 4 days ahead and refrigerate until ready to serve.
210 cal, 13g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 190mg sodium, 23g carb, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 5g protein
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!