Elegant Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 4 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes (Cooking time: 20 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil Add to list
- 2 large shallots, about 2/3 cup, minced Add to list
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced very thin Add to list
- 5 teaspoons arrowroot Add to list
- 5 tablespoons white wine Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups warm stock plus 1/2 cup extra, if needed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence Add to list
- Salt and white pepper to taste Add to list
In a 1 1/2-quart sauté pan, heat the oil. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook until soft. Do not brown.
Dissolve the arrowroot in warm stock, being sure to whisk it very carefully and scrape bottom and corners of pan or bowl.
Add the arrowroot/stock mixture to mushroom mixture. Combine well with wooden spoon. Add wine and seasoning and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower to a simmer and cook 7 to 8 minutes. Add more stock if it is too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings to your own preference.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »