Elegant Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 4 cups
Use this mushroom gravy over tofu or tempeh, pasta or roasted chicken or beef.
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil Add to list
- 2 large shallots, minced Add to list
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced very thin Add to list
- 5 teaspoons arrowroot Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups warm stock plus 1/2 cup extra, if needed Add to list
- 5 tablespoons white wine Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence Add to list
- Salt and white pepper, to taste Add to list
In a 1 1/2-quart sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Do not brown.
Dissolve arrowroot in warm stock, being sure to whisk it very carefully and scrape the bottom and corners of the pan or bowl.
Add arrowroot/stock mixture to mushroom mixture. Combine well with a wooden spoon. Add wine and seasonings and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower to a simmer and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Add more stock if it is too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings to your own preference.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor