- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 pound eggplant, grated Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- 1/4 cup almond meal Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 2 tablespoons ground flax Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (available in bulk section) Add to list
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
- Your choice of toppings: Asparagus, goat cheese, prosciutto, red onion, arugula, sliced tomato Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
Place grated eggplant in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with salt, toss, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Gently squeeze eggplant to remove extra moisture.
Combine eggplant and remaining crust ingredients in a bowl; mix well. Place mixture on a baking sheet and spread dough into one large or two smaller pizzas, about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove crust from the oven and brush the top with remaining olive oil. Carefully flip crust over and return to the oven for 15 additional minutes.
Add toppings and bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Variations: Try using leftover dips and spreads, such as olive tapenade, artichoke dip or pesto. Top with salami, sautéed greens, feta cheese, fresh basil, roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes.
The crust can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the freezer, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 months.
Each serving: 360 cal, 23 g fat (6 g sat), 130 mg chol, 920 mg sodium, 23 g carb, 12 g fiber, 21 g protein
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, May 2013