The flavor is decadent and summery, with the smooth eggplant perfectly offsetting fresh herbs and lemon juice.
- 2 pounds eggplant, sliced in half lengthwise Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives Add to list
- Flatbread, crackers and vegetable sticks, for serving (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Brush cut side of eggplant with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven, cut side down, until very tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool and then scoop out pulp, discarding skins.
Add eggplant pulp, oil, lemon juice and garlic to a food processor. Puree until smooth. Fold in tomato, parsley and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as a dip alongside flatbread, crackers or vegetable sticks, or spread onto sandwiches or burgers.
Note: For a smokier flavor, grill eggplants over medium heat, turning occasionally, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
150 cal, 11g fat (1.5g sat), 0mg chol, 200mg sodium, 14g carb, 7g fiber, 6g sugars, 3g protein