Easy Vegan Banana Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
Low-fat but moist and flavorful.
- 1/4 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk, such as rice or almond Add to list
- 6 tablespoons neutral-tasting vegetable oil Add to list
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 2 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 5 medium bananas) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla Add to list
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour or all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 cup chopped walnuts Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Lightly oil an 8x8-inch baking dish, dusting lightly with flour, shaking out the excess.
Blend the soy milk, oil, maple syrup, bananas and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined. Add the banana mixture and combine, using as few strokes as possible to avoid overmixing. Fold in the walnuts.
Scrape into the baking dish and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
Source: Sound Consumer, November 2011