Easy Herbed Salmon Cakes
Use whatever fresh or dried herbs you have on hand to prepare these quick salmon cakes. Serve as an appetizer or with a small salad for a complete meal.
- 1 pound cooked salmon, chilled and flaked Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion or shallot Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely diced bell or hot peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrot Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried herbs (parsley, thyme, green onion, etc.), divided Add to list
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup bread crumbs or crushed crackers Add to list
- 1/4 cup sour cream Add to list
- 1/2 cup high-heat oil or cooking spray (optional) Add to list
In a large bowl, combine salmon, onion or shallot, peppers, carrot, 3 tablespoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried herbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, egg, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons bread or cracker crumbs. Gently form into 8 patties; refrigerate or freeze until just firm.
Meanwhile, combine sour cream, remaining herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl to form a sauce.
Put remaining bread or cracker crumbs in a shallow dish. Press salmon cakes into crumbs to coat both sides.
To fry cakes: Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon cakes and cook until golden brown and heated through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
To bake cakes: Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray with cooking spray and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 5 minutes. Flip cakes over and continue to bake until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Broil for an additional 2 minutes for a crunchy crust.
Serve salmon cakes with a dollop of herbed sour cream.
Each serving: 350cal, 12g fat (3.5g sat), 125mg chol, 250mg sodium, 26g carb, 2g fiber, 33g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »