Dried Fruit and Toasted Nut Mix
This colorful mix is perfect for holiday entertaining or a day on the trail. It's packed with nuts and pumpkin seeds — toasted for a full flavor — and dried fruit like apricots, tart cherries, cranberries and mangoes. Making this mix for gifts is a yearly tradition for Rita Condon, who worked in PCC's Human Resources department and loves to use bulk foods when cooking.
- 1 cup whole almonds Add to list
- 1 cup whole cashews Add to list
- 1 cup walnut halves, broken in half Add to list
- 1 cup pistachio meats Add to list
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1 cup piñon nuts Add to list
- 1 cup Duchilly filberts (or other variety of hazelnuts) Add to list
Combine raw nuts on a baking sheet and roast at 300º F for 15 to 20 minutes until nuts turn golden and fragrant. While they are baking, watch them carefully so they do not burn.
Combine dried fruit in a bowl and mix well. Add roasted nuts and mix until thoroughly combined.
Cool and store in an airtight container for three days at room temperature, or up to one month in the refrigerator or freezer.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Source: Sound Consumer, December 2004