Divalicious Carrot Cake
Using a combination of sweet carrots and parsnips, this delicious cake will knock your socks off!
- 2 cups sugar Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups oil Add to list
- 4 large eggs Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup almond flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried nettles (optional) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking soda Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons best-quality ground cinnamon (best flavor is if you grind it yourself) Add to list
- 1 cup grated parsnip (use the large grater holes for this) Add to list
- 2 cups grated carrots (use the large grater holes for this) Add to list
- Vanilla-Cinnamon Cream, for serving Add to list
- Powdered sugar and/or cinnamon, for garnish Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Generously grease a 9- by 13-inch pan.
In a bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and ginger. In a separate bowl, mix together both flours, nettles, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Lightly fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Gently mix in grated parsnips and carrots.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Serve with Vanilla-Cinnamon Cream and powdered sugar and/or cinnamon.
Each serving: 570 cal, 32g fat (4.5g sat), 70mg chol, 550mg sodium, 70g carb, 4g fiber, 6g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2012.