Mac and Cheese with Roasted Vegetables
Serves: 4 to 6
Roasted vegetables, three cheeses and a nut topping make this version of mac and cheese a bit different. Gemelli has a pleasant density and chewiness, but any medium-sized pasta will work.
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch sticks Add to list
- Olive oil Add to list
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 2- or 3-inch strips Add to list
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 ounces hazelnuts Add to list
- 4 ounces macadamia nuts Add to list
- 1 pound gemelli pasta Add to list
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded Add to list
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded Add to list
- 4 ounces chèvre cheese, crumbled Add to list
- 5 to 6 green onions, thinly sliced diagonal cuts Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F.
In a bowl, coat carrots lightly with olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly coat peppers and onions with olive oil in the same bowl. After 15 minutes add peppers and onions to the baking sheet and roast for another 20 minutes. Ideally, carrots should be golden brown, onions soft and lightly browned and peppers soft with a few lightly blackened edges. When done, salt and set aside.
In a heavy skillet, toast nuts over medium heat until fragrant and lightly browned. Shake pan often to keep them from burning. Pulse in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
Cook pasta al dente, strain and pour into a large bowl. Immediately add cheeses, roasted veggies, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Serve each portion hot, topped with nuts and green onions. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, if you like.
Recipe by, former PCC staff