Yield: 8 to 10 crepes
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour, or half unbleached and half whole-wheat Add to list
- 1/8 cup sugar Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg white Add to list
- 1/2 cup milk Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil (plus additional butter for the pan) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla Add to list
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (use fresh raspberries, blueberries or any combination of berries in the summer) Add to list
- 1 cup cream, whipped to soft peaks Add to list
- Powdered sugar for garnishing Add to list
Sift flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Beat egg, egg white and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Add melted butter or oil and vanilla. Combine egg mixture with dry ingredients and beat with rotary beater until smooth.
Heat an 8-inch skillet over medium heat until moderately hot. Lightly grease the pan with a butter-coated pastry brush. Pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan, about 1/4 cup. Immediately tilt skillet back and forth to spread batter thinly and evenly. Cook each crepe over medium heat until light brown on bottom and firm to touch on top. Loosen edges with spatula. Turn and brown second side.
Lay each crepe flat on a dessert plate. Spread the berries on one side of the crepe, covering about 1/3 of the surface. Then spread 2 tablespoons of cream over the berries and roll the crepe, starting with the berry side. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar and garnish with additional cream and berries.
You can store any unused crepes between layers of waxed paper carefully placed in a â€¨resealable bag or a freezer-proof container.
Each serving: 180 cal, 14g fat (8g sat), 70mg chol, 50mg sodium, 12g carb, 1g fiber, 3g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor