Serves: 4 to 6
Serve this Indian-inspired dish with warm naan or over basmati rice.
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, grated Add to list
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional) Add to list
- 1 red onion, chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes Add to list
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the mustard and cumin seeds, frying the spices until they begin to pop, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and jalapeño, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in onion and cook until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with turmeric and coriander.
Mix in eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until softened, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes to thicken juices; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
Each of 6 servings: 90 cal, 5g fat (1g sat), 0mg chol, 200mg sodium, 11g carb, 4g fiber, 2g protein
Source: Sound Consumer, September 2013
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »