Curried Pumpkin Stew
Serves: 6 to 8
Ginger and coconut add to this warm, substantial delight.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup chopped onion Add to list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- 3/4 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder Add to list
- 1 small pumpkin or squash, peeled and cubed Add to list
- 1 carrot, chopped Add to list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 7-ounce can organic coconut milk Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or carrot greens Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional) Add to list
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, curry, pumpkin, carrot and celery, stirring well to combine. Add salt, water and broth; stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in coconut milk and top with parsley and pepper flakes if desired. Serve immediately with a slice of bread. If you prefer a smooth soup, pureé using an immersion blender, or use a food processor or regular blender (in batches) until smooth.
This soup may be refrigerated or frozen.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer, October 2010