Curried Pumpkin Stew
Serves: 6 to 8
Ginger and coconut add to this warm, substantial delight.
Beer pairing: Pumpkin beers for pumpkin stew! Only available in fall, pumpkin beers are rich and malty, slightly sweet and lightly spiced with ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Echoing the ingredients in this stew, the beer will help enhance the warm spices and earthy pumpkin. Try: Pike Brewing Co. Harlot’s Harvest or Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup chopped onion Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 3/4 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder Add to list
- 1 small pumpkin or squash -seeded, peeled and cubed Add to list
- 1 carrot, chopped Add to list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 (7-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional) Add to list
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, curry, pumpkin, carrot and celery, stirring well to combine.
Add salt, water and broth; stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If you prefer a smooth soup, pureé using an immersion blender, food processor or regular blender (in batches) until smooth.
Top with parsley and pepper flakes if desired. Serve immediately with a slice of bread. May be refrigerated or frozen.
Each serving: 110 cal, 7g fat (6g sat), 0mg chol, 400mg sodium, 10g carb, 3g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor