Curried Potato-Corn Burgers
You may flavor these burgers delicately or strongly depending on your taste for curry.
- 1 can organic garbanzo beans Add to list
- About 1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed, skins left on, cut into small pieces Add to list
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus additional for frying Add to list
- 1 onion, diced small Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 small chile pepper, minced Add to list
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked (or use 1 cup frozen) Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons curry powder Add to list
- 2 tablespoons white wine or stock Add to list
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, plus additional for coating Add to list
Mash garbanzos in a large bowl or blend in a food processor until a chunky paste is formed. Set aside.
Steam potatoes until soft. While potatoes are steaming, saute onion in oil over low heat until golden, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, chile pepper and corn. Season with salt and pepper.
Turn up heat to medium-high. Cook until tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder. Stir and cook for an additional minute or so. When the mixture begins to stick slightly, add wine. Cook until mixture has reduced slightly, leaving a thick sauce. Remove from heat.
Add curry mixture and potatoes to garbanzo beans. Mash potatoes and mix well. Add vinegar and additional salt and pepper to taste. Mix in bread crumbs. If mixture seems too wet, add more bread crumbs. Let cool and form into patties.
To cook, coat with bread crumbs and fry in 2 to 3 tablespoons oil on both sides, until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Mango Avocado Salsa.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »