Curried Potato-Corn Patties
You may flavor these burgers delicately or strongly depending on your taste for curry.
- 1 (14-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained Add to list
- 1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into small pieces Add to list
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus additional for frying Add to list
- 1 onion, diced small Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 small chile pepper, minced Add to list
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked (or use 1 cup frozen kernels) Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons curry powder Add to list
- 2 tablespoons white wine or stock Add to list
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, plus additional for coating Add to list
Mash garbanzos in a large bowl or blend in a food processor until a chunky paste is formed. Set aside.
Steam potatoes until soft. While potatoes are steaming, saute onions in oil over medium heat until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, chile peppers and corn. Season with salt and pepper.
Turn up heat to medium-high. Cook until tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder. Stir and cook for 1 additional minute. When the mixture begins to stick slightly, add wine. Cook until mixture has reduced slightly, leaving a thick sauce. Remove from heat.
Add curry mixture and potatoes to garbanzo beans. Mash potatoes and mix well. Add vinegar and additional salt and pepper to taste. Mix in breadcrumbs. If mixture seems too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Let cool and form into patties.
To cook, coat patties with breadcrumbs and fry in 2 to 3 tablespoons oil on both sides, until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Mango Avocado Salsa.
Recipe by, former PCC staff