Curried Pineapple Fried Rice with Grilled Prawns
Serves: 4 to 6
This Chinese version of Thai fried rice has become very popular in Hong Kong — though without the fish sauce. It is typically served in a hollowed-out pineapple. This appetizing presentation, along with the exotic aroma and the bright colors of the food, make a perfect dish for summertime. Generally speaking we do not use any soy sauce to cook fried rice dishes; we use coarse sea salt instead. If you prefer, you can serve soy sauce on the side.
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-sized prawns, shelled and deveined, rinsed and patted dry (keep chilled until use) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons canola oil Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper Add to list
For fried rice
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided Add to list
- 2 eggs, well beaten Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrot Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder Add to list
- 3 tightly packed cups cooked jasmine rice Add to list
- 1 cup diced ripe, fresh pineapple Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, or to taste Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, or to taste Add to list
- Chopped green onion (optional) Add to list
- Chopped peanuts (optional) Add to list
- Chopped cilantro (optional) Add to list
- Soy sauce (optional) Add to list
To grill prawns
Preheat grill to medium high. In a bowl, mix prawns with oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Grill prawns for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until opaque. Remove from grill and set aside.
To make fried rice
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Stir in beaten eggs and scramble in oil until firm, breaking into small pieces. Remove eggs from wok and set aside.
Reheat wok and add remaining oil. When the oil is hot add ginger and cook for 1 minute. Take care not to burn the ginger. Stir in all vegetables and cook for another minute. Then add curry powder and stir-fry until well combined. Add rice and stir-fry until the rice is heated through.
Add the grilled prawns, eggs and pineapple to wok. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for another 1 to 2 minutes, mixing all ingredients well. Sprinkle green onion on top (if using). Transfer to serving plate and garnish with optional peanuts and cilantro. Serve with or without soy sauce.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »