Crostata di Mele (Apple Custard Tart)
Serves: 10 to 12
Creamy custard and tart apples make a delicious match.
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided Add to list
- Zest of 1 lemon Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces Add to list
- 2 whole eggs, divided Add to list
- 1 pound baking apples, cored and sliced Add to list
- 2 egg yolks Add to list
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 cup heavy cream Add to list
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest and salt in a mixing bowl; stir to combine. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until pieces are the size of peas. Add 1 egg and stir until dough is almost gathered. Press dough into a 9 1/2-inch tart pan.
Layer apples over dough in the tart pan. In a bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and whole egg, egg yolks, kirsch, vanilla and 2 tablespoons flour. Stir in cream and pour mixture over apples.
Bake until set, about 60 minutes. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.
Each serving: 350 cal, 19g fat (11g sat), 130mg chol, 135mg sodium, 45g carb, 3g fiber, 28g sugars, 4g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, October 2011