Crostata di Mele Apple Custard Tart
Creamy custard and tart apples are a delicious match.
- 1 3/4 cups flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup sugar Add to list
- Zest of 1 lemon Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 2 large (about 1 pound) Granny Smith apples, sliced Add to list
- 2 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg Add to list
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla Add to list
- 3/4 cup sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons flour Add to list
- 1 cup cream Add to list
- Confectioners sugar for dusting Add to list
Prepare the dough
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place the flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine, add the butter and stir until the butter pieces are the size of peas, then add the egg and stir until almost gathered. Press the dough into a 9 1/2-inch tart pan.
Prepare the custard
Place the apples over the dough in the tart pan. In a medium bowl add egg and egg yolks, flavorings, sugar and flour. Stir in the cream and then pour over the apples and bake for 60 minutes or until set. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, October 2011