Gruyère and ham are a match made in heaven. Make the classic French grilled cheese by layering these these two ingredients between slices of bread covered in béchamel sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for bread Add to list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1 cup milk Add to list
- Pinch of nutmeg Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 slices thick white sandwich bread Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 4 slices cooked ham Add to list
- 2 slices Gruyère cheese Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese Add to list
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour to create a thick paste. Slowly whisk milk in to the flour mixture in a steady stream. Cook for 5 minutes to thicken sauce, stirring often. Stir in a pinch of nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Make two sandwiches with bread slices, mustard, ham and sliced cheese. Lightly spread both outer sides of bread with butter. Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-low heat. Place sandwiches in the warm skillet and cook on one side until golden brown and cheese begins to melt, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip sandwich over and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 2 to 4 additional minutes.
Top sandwiches with the sauce and grated cheese. Broil until golden brown and bubbling, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
To prepare a Croque Madame, prepare recipe as above and top each sandwich with a fried egg.
Recipe by, PCC Chef