Crispy Tempeh with Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard Add to list
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks Add to list
- 2 ribs celery, sliced into matchsticks Add to list
- 1 red pepper sliced into matchsticks Add to list
- 1 package tempeh, cut into 4 pieces (cut length and width wise) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons canola oil Add to list
- 1 cup white wine or apple juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon powdered vegetable soup base Add to list
- 1 tablespoon honey Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
In a small bowl, mix mustard powder with just enough water to make a paste and set aside. In a steamer, cook carrots, celery and bell pepper for 5 minutes or so, or until just tender, but still slightly crunchy, then set aside. In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add tempeh and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisped and golden brown. Set aside on a plate layered with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
In same hot pan, add wine and stir to scrape up any bits of browned tempeh. Add soup base and mix well. Stir a tablespoon or two of pan liquid into mustard mixture and then add entire mustard mixture to pan. Stir well and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat, add honey, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
Top tempeh with vegetables and drizzle sauce over top.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »