Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup with Pecorino
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 large yellow onions, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1/2 pound brown or white button mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick Add to list
- 1/2 pound wild mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick Add to list
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley, plus additional for garnish Add to list
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt Add to list
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock Add to list
- 1/2 cup cream or crème fraîche Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely grated aged Pecorino or Parmesan Add to list
In a heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the butter and olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are light golden brown and translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have released their juices and started to turn golden brown at their edges. Add the potato, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes more to meld flavors.
Add the stock and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend in batches until smooth (use caution when blending hot soup and be sure not to fill the blender more than half full). Return the soup to the pot, stir in the cream and Worcestershire sauce. Adjust seasonings. Stir in half of cheese just before serving.
Serve hot soup garnished with the rest of the cheese and chopped parsley.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor