Creamy Rice Pudding with Pistachios and Caramelized Bananas
- 1 can (14 ounces) organic coconut milk Add to list
- 2 cups filtered water Add to list
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice Add to list
- 1 vanilla bean, split open and seeds scraped out Add to list
- 1 teaspoon organic lemon zest Add to list
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt Add to list
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional) Add to list
- 3 cardamom pods (optional) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cold water Add to list
- Pistachios, chopped Add to list
For the rice pudding
In a saucepan place the coconut milk, water, rice, vanilla bean and seeds, lemon zest, brown rice syrup, salt, and if you like, cinnamon and cardamom. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring often.
Combine the arrowroot with the cold water. Slowly add to the rice mixture while stirring. Let simmer for a couple of minutes until it thickens. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool, then pour into 4 to 5 individual bowls. Refrigerate until serving, or eat warm with the caramelized bananas.
Lightly toast pistachios in a dry pan over medium heat. Sprinkle over rice pudding and caramelized bananas just before serving.
For the Bananas
Cut bananas lengthwise and then cut in half. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and lay the banana slices on top, cut side down. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds, then add rum and orange zest. Cook for 10 seconds, then turn bananas carefully and cook for 45 to 60 seconds more, basting with the pan sauce.
Source: 2010 PCC annual meeting dinner